Confirming DNS name matches local host name

Charles Derykus ced at bcstec.uucp
Fri May 31 05:21:01 AEST 1991

Given an internet IP, is there a way to retrieve what the host at that IP
actually calls itself. In other words, I want to confirm that what DNS
says actually matches the local host name.

I thought telneting in through the "smtp" port and capturing the output
would be an option but the "smtp" output resists capture.

Charles DeRykus				Internet:   ced at bcstec.boeing.com
Boeing Computer Services		UUCP:	    ...!uunet!bcstec!ced
Renton, WA.  M/S 6R-37			(206) 234-9223