On Location: Unix Equivalent?

Matthew Zeidenberg zeiden at ai.cs.wisc.edu
Fri May 3 14:02:57 AEST 1991

I find the utility "On Location" on my Mac very handy. Not only does
it find all the files on my hard disk that contain a string in their
name, but it also quickly finds all the files that contain a string in
their text. It updates an index in the background, so is very fast.

The UNIX utility "find" provides some of this functionality, but lacks
the text searching capability, and one usually ends up using grep
"word" * or some such. I was wondering if anybody knows of an On Location
equivalent for UNIX. If not, I would consider writing one, probably in
Perl, using Perl's abilities to access the shell and databases
easily. Or does someone else want to volunteer?

Please respond via e-mail: I will summarize for the net, as I rarely
read this group.
--
* Matt Zeidenberg 			608-257-3933(h)    *
* zeiden at cs.wisc.edu			608-262-5786(w)    *