Variables in csh

Steven M. List itkin at mrspoc.Transact.COM
Fri May 3 09:44:35 AEST 1991

quang at CSUFRES.CSUFRESNO.EDU (Quang Ngo) writes:

>1) In csh, we can have something like
>
>set a = (This is a string)
>echo $a[2]
>
>which prints 'is'
>
>Now, let's say I have
>
>set a = "This is a string"
>
>How do I print 'str' ?

    expr "$a" : '.\{10\}\(...\).*'

or

    echo "$a" | cut -c11-13

or...

>2) Let's say I have a file 'data' which contains the following 3 lines.
>The question is how?  I know how to take care these problems in (n/g)awk.

I don't have an answer to the second one in C shell syntax.  In Bourne
(/bin/sh) it's easy:

    while read $LINE
    do
        echo $LINE
    done < datafile

and variations on that theme.  But csh doesn't have anything quite like
"read".