Jim Frost's socket tutorial (was Re: socket (long))

Edwin Kremer edwin at cs.ruu.nl
Tue May 28 19:03:04 AEST 1991

Jonathan Kamens wrote:

   |JK> Then there's the socker tutorial that was posted by Jim Frost of Saber.
                              ^
			      Hmm, I thought it had something to do with
			      networking, not sports ;-} ;-}

   |JK> It's appended below.  I don't think it's been posted in a while :-).
   |
   | \fIBSD Sockets:  A Quick And Dirty Primer\fR
   | by Jim Frost
   | February 13, 1990

This version is little out-dated. You may pickup a newer version (also
including a LaTeX variant) from our archive. Details below.

  We, Computer Science department, Utrecht University,  are  running  an
anonymous  FTP  server  on  one  of  our systems. In addition to the FTP
service we're also running a mail server, because we *know* how you feel
when  there's  plenty of beautiful software around that you can't reach.
We've been in that situation for a long long time...

--> How to get 'socket-primer' via anonymous FTP:

	Site:		archive.cs.ruu.nl  [131.211.80.5]
	Login:		"anonymous" or "ftp"
	Password:	your own email address (you at your_domain)
	File:		DOC/socket-primer.shar.Z

--> How to get 'socket-primer' via e-mail from our mail-server:

    NOTE: In the following I have assumed that your mail address is
	  "fred_flintstone at stone.age.edu"; of course you must substitute
	  your own address for this.
	  ** PLEASE USE VALID DOMAIN ADDRESSES. DO NOT USE ADDRESSES **
	  ** WITH ! and @ MIXED !!!! BITNETTERS USE USER at HOST.BITNET **

    Send the following message to
		mail-server at cs.ruu.nl
    or the old-fashioned path alternative
		uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ruuinf!mail-server

      begin
      path fred_flintstone at stone.age.edu (SUBSTITUTE *YOUR* ADDRESS)
      send DOC/socket-primer.shar.Z
      end

The path command can be deleted if we receive a valid from address in your
message. If this is the first time you use our mail server, we suggest you
first issue the request:

      send HELP

  A complete "ls-lR" listing of the archive is  kept  in  the  top-level
directory, it will be updated every night. To get it, issue the command:

     send ls-lR.Z

  That's all for now. If you encounter problems using  the  FTP  service
and/or the mail-server, feel free to drop me a line (by e-mail, please).

						--[ Edwin ]--
--
Edwin Kremer (SysAdm), Dept. of Computer Science, Utrecht University
Padualaan 14,   P.O. Box 80.089,  3508 TB  Utrecht,  The Netherlands