Unix vs Novell (HA..)

L. Hirschbiegel lh at aega84.UUCP
Fri May 10 20:23:56 AEST 1991

In article <604 at fciva.FRANKCAP.COM> dag at fciva.UUCP (Daniel A. Graifer) writes:

>We use PC-Interface from Locus Computing.  I believe this is available for
>all of the SYSV/386 unix ports, and is bundled in by some vendors.  I've

[ stuff deleted ]

>    4)  A vt100 terminal emulator.  You can open EMulation sessions
>    	to multiple hosts, including hosts which are not "connected"
>    	for file/print services.

The latest release (3.0.x) we are using with an ISC host computer provides
vt220/8bit terminal emulation. Really fast and reliable - good product!

>    7)  The newer versions support NDIS drivers, which in combination
>    	with Hughes Lan Systems' ProLinc, should let you run Novell,
>    	NFS/Telnet, and IBM PC-network (NETBUEI/DLC) simultaneously
>    	on the same PC.  (I haven't tried this, I will as soon as

If somebody out there tried that - I would be VERY interested to hear
about the results (and hassles, of course:-).

>    8)  It doesn't use a lot of DOS memory (<50K).

Depends. The PCI driver itself needs about 50k RAM space, but then you
also need to load some driver for your network card (that's another
12 k for the 3C503 we are using). We managed to shift the PCI driver
into high memory with 386MAX, but failed in doing so for the card driver.
Anyway: 12k in conventional memory is acceptable.

>        on the host.  Be careful, their copy protection scheme on the
>        client side is nasty.

In fact, the copy protection scheme works exactly like the PC-NFS copy
protection scheme.

>Dan
>--
>Daniel A. Graifer			Coastal Capital Funding Corp.

I'm also very pleased with PCI. Compared to PC-NFS it's easier to
install and MUCH easier to use. The performance tests we have
done (PCI vs. PC-NFS) gave substantial better results for PCI.
There is only one problem I have found so far: you cannot link to a host in
a different network . PC-NFS works okay here (may be a RTFM problem??).