Why does / change size with mail?

Terence P. Ma tpm-sprl!tpm at uunet.uu.net
Mon May 6 09:03:28 AEST 1991

Hope the title isn't too obscure ... anyway (question I didn't find in one
of my FMs, please tell me which one it's in.  Also didn't find it in FAQs).

I came back from 2 weeks of business trips to 2.3 MBytes worth of mail (I
get several newsgroups as email because I don't have Usenet up and running
yet on my system).  I also noticed when I did a "df" that my "/" was up at
about 85% used.  As I emptied my mailbox, a "df" returned that my "/" was
back to a more normal 62% used.  The difference seemed to be the size of my
mailbox.

However, my mailbox is in /usr/spool/mail which is in "/usr", a separately
mounted partition (and thus shouldn't affect "/").  I thought that maybe it
was because when I was using mailtool (SunOS4.1.1; SS1+; OpenWindows) a file
containing the full mailbox was being kept in "/tmp" which uses up "/"
space, but there is no use of "/tmp" at the time.

Could someone please explain this phenomenon to me?

Thanks in advance!
Tere

Terence P. Ma, Ph.D.
Department of Anatomy				If it were easy, some one
University of Mississippi Medical Center	would have done it already.
2500 North State Street					-- anonymous
Jackson, MS 39216
VOICE:	601-984-1654			UUCP:	tpm-sprl!tpm at uunet.uu.net