SUMMARY: how to capture text output during program?

Michael Steckner steckner at lri.uwo.ca
Mon May 27 08:38:39 AEST 1991

Thanks for all the responses. For those who might be interested in this
question there were 3 types of responses:

1) use some script commands
2) use the "tee" command
3) open a "pty"

before I had mailed my query I had tried #2 with no success. Since the
tee command was the most common suggestion, I tried it again. It seems
to be that on SGI personal iris, it buffers the output such that when
the program is printing out numbers, tee will not release the
info to the file or screen until x bytes are collected. Just a warning
to those who are confused about tee's behaviour like I was.