random numbers in awk?

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Wed May 15 03:13:37 AEST 1991

>SysV User's should note that they have a similar program, called random.

Well, *some* S5 users, anyway.  As I remember, it was in "/usr/games" in
S3 or in early S5; the games appear to have gone away in a later S5
release, alas.

>It's range of output values is restricted to 0..255 (the upper limit must
>be specified as a calling argument).

If you're thinking of the same "random" I'm thinking of (I'm thinking of
the one I picked up from some S5 release and put into SunOS), that's
only the case if you use the "-e" flag to get it to return a random exit
status.  Its "normal" mode is to act as a filter, randomly choosing
which lines of the standard input to write to the standard output....