Need Assembly lang. to learn C?

Neil Rickert rickert at mp.cs.niu.edu
Wed May 22 13:53:41 AEST 1991

In article <1991May21.175914.3681 at rodan.acs.syr.edu> ldstern at rodan.acs.syr.edu (Larry Stern) writes:
>To all: a local instructor, who teaches C, has told several of us who are
>interested in his course that we should take an Assembly language course
>first. Even though his course is C in the DOS environment and a knowledge
>of 8088/80286 would no doubt be useful, we are wondering if this is really
>necessary. Any comments from C programmers?

 One should be careful about jumping to conclusions here.

 You really should seek an explanation from the instructor.  Perhaps he wants
only some knowledge of machine architecture, and would accept an Assembly
language course on any reasonable system.  Perhaps the majority of the
class will automatically have an assembler background, and he is requiring
this to maintain some degree of uniformity in the background knowledge of
the students entering the class.

 In short, without knowing the level and objectives of the particular course,
it is not possible to make reasonable judgements.