Limitations of cp and mv?

j.f.van valkenburg jfv at cbnewsk.att.com
Fri May 17 22:58:05 AEST 1991

In article <2570004 at hpcc01.HP.COM>, maryhc at hpcc01.HP.COM (Mary Hsia-Coron) writes:

> I read in the AT&T System V release 4 manual pages that:
>
>     - cp and mv cannot transfer DIRECTORIES across
>       different file systems.

This is correct, the files in a directory can but the directory itself
cannot be moved using cp or mv. However; the cpio -pdvu command can copy
whole directory tree's across file systems.

> I'm writing some documentation and cannot verify this limitation
> of cp and mv on a wide range of UNIX systems.
>
> Questions:
> ----------
>
> 1) Does this limitation of cp and mv exist on BSD 4.3 based systems?
>
> 2) Does this limitation exist on System V systems PRIOR to release 4?

it is under SVr2 ->

> 3) Does this limitation exist on your system? Please include info on:
>     * What flavor of UNIX you have (ULTRIX, SUN, ZENIX, HP-UX, etc.)
>     * Whether your UNIX system is based on AT&T system V, BSD 4.3, or a hybrid.
we use ( big suprise) ATT 3B2 line of unix boxes, and ATT UNIX too.

> Thanks for any info you can provide!
> Hewlett-Packard Customer Training
> Mary Hsia-Coron

James F. Van Valkenburg         a.k.a.  "van"
AT&T 				Attmail: !jfv               jfv at cbnewsk.att.com
Atlanta, GA.			Voice  404-873-7920