HELP wanted regarding READ() system call!

Ashraf Mahmoud ashraf at maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
Thu May 23 06:22:25 AEST 1991

Hello Every Body,

  I wonder if I can get help regarding the unix system call "read()".
When a program executes this system call to read from an empty pipeline,
shouldn't it return zero ( nothing is read ) and passes control to the next
statement? I think it remains stuck waiting for something to be put it the
pipeline. How can I overcome this behaviour? That is making it pass control
to next statement even if pipeline is empty. I would appreciate responses.

Ashraf
McMaster U.