What does '*' symbol in /etc/passwd means?

Rey Paulo rvp at softserver.canberra.edu.au
Mon May 27 12:41:22 AEST 1991

In article <1991May25.153939.13870 at mp.cs.niu.edu> rickert at mp.cs.niu.edu (Neil Rickert) writes:

> It doesn't mean anything in particular.  It represents the encrypted password.
>It happens that no encrypted password can ever be '*', so this is just one
>way of preventing anybody from ever logging in on this account.
>
> If for some reason I want to suspend a user from logging in, I might just
>prefer to put 'SUSPEND' in this field, as another way of preventing logins.

Yes, that's right.  It is also more secure if you can include characters in
this field which don't belong to the encrypted alphabet.  One of these
characters is '*'.
Rey V. Paulo                  | Internet:  rvp at csc.canberra.edu.au
University of Canberra        | I am not bound to please thee with my answer.
AUSTRALIA                     |         -Shylock, in "The Merchant of Venice"