where is the user logged in from. Sun OS 4.x

Kartik Subbarao subbarao at phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Wed May 22 00:17:01 AEST 1991

In article <ONEEL.91May20162407 at heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov> oneel at heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Bruce Oneel ) writes:
>Hi,
>	I would like to find out where the user is logged in from when
>the connect to us over tcp/ip.  If I look in /etc/utmp or
>/var/adm/wtmp I can find most of the address (up to 15 chars?) or so,
>but I'd like the whole address.  I'd also like their name on the
>remote system, but I realize that this might be asking quite a bit.
>Thanks!!!

Do a netstat, look for their up to 15 lettered name, then do a netstat -n
and see what IP address corresponds to that name. An alternative is to do
ofiles on the in.{telnet,rlogin}d parent of their shell.

And of course, Dan will gladly inform us that if the sites use his
authd package, we can get the remote user name as well.

	-Kartik

--
internet% ypwhich

subbarao at phoenix.Princeton.EDU -| Internet
kartik at silvertone.Princeton.EDU (NeXT mail)
SUBBARAO at PUCC.BITNET			          - Bitnet