UUCP Setup Problem

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Fri May 3 01:45:22 AEST 1991

In article <a64711w164w at ersys.uucp> ersys!thomasw at nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Thomas Wilkinson) writes:
>I have been setting up a leaf UUCP site here (first attempt) and I have
>been having some problems getting it working properly. When my machine
>logs onto the other machine it negotiates properly until the other
>machine tries to move a file onto my machine at which point the error
>message comes up saying that it cannot create file<rdata> and the logon
>aborts.

>I have given as much permission to the other machine as I know how and
>the directories exist but not the specific file. Anybody know how to
>point me in the right direction.

There are at least two issues with uucp permissions, both of which are
usually avoided if you just receive the file into the /usr/spool/uucppublic
directory and move it out later.  One is the file system permissions where
uucp is trying to put the file.  Is the directory writable by everyone or at
least "uucp"?  The other is the internal permission checking by the uucico
program itself.  If you have HDB uucp you will have a file named
/usr/lib/uucp/Permissions that specifically lists the directories that
each remote machine can read or write under (if not, you get the default
/usr/spool/uucppublic).  Note, however, that the remote system entries
in the Permissions file are identified by the MACHINE= field when you
place outgoing calls, but by the LOGNAME= field on inbound calls so you
may not be using the entry you expect unless you have unique login names
for all the machines that call you.

Les Mikesell
  les at chinet.chi.il.us