SYSV curses & delete char

Stacey Campbell staceyc at sco.COM
Tue May 21 03:32:51 AEST 1991

In article <jsparkes.674143942 at bwdls49> jsparkes at bwdls49.bnr.ca (Jeff Sparkes) writes:
>	How can I discourage SYSV curses from using delete char on long
>lines instead of just doing clear to eol?

I've never seen curses do this, sounds obnoxious.  Is it using
parm_dch, or delete_character?

>	The program in question is tn3270, and the OS is HP-UX 7.05.  It's
>politically impossible to change the terminfo entries.

>From the AT&T System V 3.2 curses(3X) man page(s) in the idlok(win, bf)
section;

	If enabled (bf is TRUE), curses will consider using the
	hardware "insert/delete-line" feature of terminals so
	equipped.  If disabled (bf is FALSE), curses will very
	seldom use this feature.  _(_T_h_e_ _"_i_n_s_e_r_t_/_d_e_l_e_t_e_-_c_h_a_r_a_c_t_e_r_"
	_	_f_e_a_t_u_r_e_ _i_s_ _a_l_w_a_y_s_ _c_o_n_s_i_d_e_r_e_d_._) ...

This is the only reference I have seen to delete char, and it would
seem to indicate you are up the proverbial creek without a paddle
unless you can convince someone to change the terminfo file.
--
                             Stacey Campbell
                        Internet: staceyc at sco.com
     UUCP: {uunet,ucscc,att,sq,altos,lotus,sun,microsoft}!sco!staceyc