What is it? (was Re: Current Run-Level: How can you tell?)

Crimson Avenger yee at aix01.aix.rpi.edu
Mon May 6 04:26:20 AEST 1991

In the AT&T System 5, Release 4 book (Complete Reference by Obsorn McGraw-Hill)
I think you mean system initialization state levels:

State		Function
0		Power off
1		Single User mode
2		Multi-user mode
3		Multi-user with network
4		Not used
5		Shutdown to ROM
6		Shutdown and Reboot
s		Single-user mode
S		Single-user with remote console

With these definitions, I don't think some of them apply to PCs, I have a
PC, but don't have unix up and running yet.  I think a couple of those
don't apply to the PC, like Power off, or Shutdown to ROM.  I think in some
machine, you can literally power off the computer via a software command.
Not on PCs yet.

Hope this helps, not sure.  .

--
-- Robert aka Crimson Avenger      (yee at rpi.edu or crimson_avenger at mts.rpi.edu)