Looking for a restricted shell.

Ed Wright edw at sequent.UUCP
Wed May 29 02:19:16 AEST 1991

In article <1991May24.114710.5024 at thunder.mcrcim.mcgill.edu> mouse at thunder.mcrcim.mcgill.edu (der Mouse) writes:
%In article <1991May23.033109.10724 at DMI.USherb.CA>, pineault at sarcelle.DMI.USherb.CA (Christian Pineault) writes:
%
%> I'm looking for a shell on SunOS 4.1.1 that would prevent users from
%> using any armful commands.
%
%I assume you meant `harmful', though it's amusing to contemplate
%possible meanings for `armful'....
%
%The simplest way to do this is to remove their login access.
%
%I'm serious.  UNIX provides much power, but with this power comes the
Much stuff deleted

Well, you could create a few new groups. Let your commands be owned by
a member of one the groups. Then allow group membership to those groups
for only those people you want to be to use the commands.
 (SEig Heil administration)
On a friendlier note alias cp to cp -i set noclobber, and alias
rm to mv \!* /someplace that gets cleaned out every so often, like
perhaps ~/.temp.
rksh is a good idea.

The best thing you can however, is EDUCATE YOUR USERS !
I firmly believe that an administrator that does not enlighten or
ensure that someone else enlightens the new users is just not doing
his/her/its job. Period. End of sentence.

Ed
--
 I think I've got the hang of it now .... :w  :q  :wq  :wq! ^d  X exit
  X Q  :quitbye  CtrlAltDel   ~~q  :~q  logout  save/quit :!QUIT ^[zz ^[ZZ