Unix vs Novell (HA..)

Jeff Carroll carroll at ssc-vax
Tue May 14 06:10:07 AEST 1991

In article <1991May7.150709.18719 at msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> griffin at frith.egr.msu.edu (Danny Griffin) writes:
>scarroll at cup.portal.com (Scott A Carroll) writes:
>
>>******************************************************************************
>>*                    Hey, I would love to tell ya who I work                 *
>>*                    for, but hell, you would never belive it                *
>>*                               {I know I don't}                             *
>>******************************************************************************
>>*      Scott Carroll                            scarroll at cup.portal.com      *
>>******************************************************************************
>
>I'll take Organizations for $200...the question is, "Who is General Motors?"

	Well, I was so tempted that I checked the in-house phone book, and
it's not Boeing (although it could have been).

	And no, I'm not related to the guy (to the best of my knowledge).

	For the last few months I've had a Novell connected PC on my desk.
Although the LAN administrator has no idea of what I'm doing, would be
incapable of supporting me if he did, and is too busy with the problems of
dealing with management anyway, I manage to get by. With the help of
several TCP-IP gateways installed around the MAN, I manage to get to the
Unix box from which I post this, get my netnews fix and email. In fact,
I manage to accomplish just about everything I need to do.

	This arrangement is considerably more functional than when I had
to dial up to the Usenet host. Of course, the critical link here is the
IP gateway package. At the moment we are using an obsolete version of
Interlan's gateway package, and although Telnet is almost unusable
(crashing on me a couple of times a day, especially when I'm in an Emacs
session), the FTP implementation works fine, well enough that I can keep
both printers on the local Novell server busy at once.

	Of course, since I can telnet to a Unix box, I'm not running any
Novell apps at all. (Take that, Ray Noorda !) :^)

--
Jeff Carroll
carroll at ssc-vax.boeing.com

"Do you think I care? ... I have an infinite amount of money."	-Bill Gates