System turns into pig after 66040 installation on HP-UX

Clarence Dold dold at mitisft.Convergent.COM
Thu May 9 14:51:01 AEST 1991

in article <26810 at adm.brl.mil>, FLYNN%EVALUN11.BITNET at cunyvm.cuny.edu (Mark F. Flynn) says:

> new and wonderful 68040 processor. What we have noticed is that certain
> jobs spend from 50% to 90% of their time doing system calls, as opposed

Are the programs running slower, or you just curious about the measurement?
The 68040 appears substantially faster than the 68020 in our systems.  I
wonder what measurements you are actually making.

There are some design considerations with regards the cache that
theoretically affect any 68000 CPU, but only become obvious with the '040.
--
---
Clarence A Dold - dold at tsmiti.Convergent.COM