Need RAM disk driver code (BSD4.3 or NeXT)

Stephen C. Gilardi squeegee at well.UUCP
Mon May 20 14:34:29 AEST 1991

I am in search of RAM disk driver example code for BSD4.3.  I've already
posted a similar request in comp.sys.next and comp.unix.internals... no
response yet.  Here's why:

I have a NeXT computer with no floppy drive.  I also have a Mac IIci running
A/UX with a floppy drive.  Much of NeXT software distribution is now done on
UNIX format 1.44Meg floppies.  A/UX can't MOUNT the NeXT floppies, but it CAN
read all the bytes off them using something like

cat /dev/rfloppy0 > flopdisk.image

I can move flopdisk.image over to the NeXT using Ethernet.  I'd like to be
able to somehow mount that image as (perhaps) a read only block device.  It
occurs to me that a RAM disk driver would be ideal here.  I could make a
1.44Meg RAM disk.  Assuming the driver supported both RAW and block I/O, I
could do:

cat flopdisk.image > /dev/rrd0a
mount /dev/rd0a /pseudofloppy

What I need from you folks is an example driver for BSD 4.3 based perhaps on
the template block driver in "Writing a UNIX device driver" by Egan and
Teixeira.  I tried doing it myself, but it doesn't work.  The NeXT seems to
have some different arguments to the driver entry points even than 4.3, but
a known good 4.3 RAM disk driver would be a GREAT starting point.

I asked in comp.sys.next, but didn't get any response in about a week.  People
look at me funny when I ask for a UNIX ram disk ("You do after all have virtual
memory...").  I hope the above justifies my need.  If anyone can think of
another way to do it I'd be pysched to hear it.  I take it that if I was using
Suns I could use ND...  NeXT even has major device numbers reserved for a
RAM disk's RAW and block I/O.  They don't however seem to include the driver.

Any help would be appreciated!

--Steve

well!squeegee at apple.com (== squeegee at sf.ca.us)