Password to single-user mode?

Brendan Kehoe brendan at cs.widener.edu
Wed May 15 11:27:57 AEST 1991

In <1991May14.181215.3306 at viewlogic.com>, kenc at suntan.viewlogic.com writes:
>Can you add a password so that Ms. Anybody cannot
>walk up to my Sparc and boot single user?

  Take 'secure' out of the entry for the console in /etc/ttytab. It'll
  make it exactly like any other terminal; also, any attempt to boot
  single-user (or shut down, or whatever), requires giving the root
  pwd, whether or not you were root when you shut it down. Perfect for
  when your server's not well isolated.

     Brendan Kehoe - Widener Sun Network Manager - brendan at cs.widener.edu
  Widener University in Chester, PA                A Bloody Sun-Dec War Zone
 "Visualize a dream; look for it in the present tense -- a greater calm than
   before.  If you persist in your efforts, you can achieve...dream control."