learning Unix C

Pete Holsberg pjh at mccc.edu
Fri May 17 23:25:20 AEST 1991

In article <1991May16.133906.23369 at dartvax.dartmouth.edu> pete at othello.dartmouth.edu (Pete Schmitt) writes:
=pjh at mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) writes:
=
=>In article <7370027 at hplsdv7.COS.HP.COM> jimr at hplsdv7.COS.HP.COM (Jim Rogers) writes:
=>=Since you present yourself as a novice programmer I would suggest
=>="C: Step-by-Step" by The Waite Group (Howard W. Sams & Company publishers).
=
=>It appears to have been superseded by their "New C Primer Plus" which is
=>almost identical and has somewhat fewer errors.
=
=No, the Step-by-Step is more of a text book that the New C primer Plus
=and even comes with a teachers guide.

Pete,
	I don't see how you can say the SxS is more of a text than CP+;
they are almost identical.  Check out the chapter summary, review
questions and programming exercises at the end of each chapter.  CP+ is
almost 100 pages longer, too.  The instructor's manual (not "teachers
[sic] guide") for SxS is little more than an answer book.  No slide
masters, no sample tests, no alternative solutions nor discussions
thereof.  I have it and haven't opened it since I first reviewed it.
We're switching from SxS to CP+ next fall; I'll let you know if it's
any better.

Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math