copying files

Kartik Subbarao subbarao at phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Thu Dec 6 00:46:17 AEST 1990

>Here is a listing of my home directory...

[listing deleted]

>ls .*                         all of the dot files, then all files
>                              in my directory and the previous.

This is, as someone I know would say, something else that's wrong with csh.
(Right Paul? Of course any shell he'd write wouldn't have that problem :-))

The problem with a simple .* is that "." and ".." also qualify as .*'s,
and as you know, they stand for your current and parent directories.

>Any other suggestions?

Sure - try :

ls .[A-z]*

This should find most of the files you want. The only problems with this
are if you have directories that begin with a "." (i.e .NeXT), and files
that for some reason are outside the range of A-z and that you would like
to list.

			-Kartik

(I need a new .signature -- any suggestions?)
subbarao@{phoenix or gauguin}.Princeton.EDU -|Internet
kartik at silvertone.Princeton.EDU (NeXT mail)       -|
SUBBARAO at PUCC.BITNET			          - Bitnet