copying files

Bob McGowen x4312 dept208 bob at wyse.wyse.com
Fri Dec 21 13:27:56 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec18.155945.10089 at usenet.ins.cwru.edu> chet at po.CWRU.Edu writes:
>In article <8525 at star.cs.vu.nl> maart at cs.vu.nl (Maarten Litmaath) writes:
>
>>...just like the POSIX shell.  POSIX `blessed' the existing practice (*),
>>that is `!', instead of `^', which would have been more consistent with
>>the regular expression syntaxes.  But who gives a damn about consistency?

It was already inconsistent.  In grep et al a dot refers to a single
character, an * repeats the preceding character 0 or more times.
The shell uses ? for a single character and * means 0 or more of any
character at that position...  In any case there are several areas where
the shell differs from good ol' grep type RE's.  And as Maarten notes, it
IS consistent within itself.

>It is sort of consistent, in a twisted sort of way.  Everywhere in the
>shell that `not' is needed, `!' is used:  to invert the return value of

Bob McGowan  (standard disclaimer, these are my own ...)
Product Support, Wyse Technology, San Jose, CA
.!uunet!wyse!bob
bob at wyse.com