Prompting for yes/no in csh

Darin McGrew mcgrew at ichthous.Eng.Sun.COM
Wed Jan 9 04:24:18 AEST 1991

dkeber at umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Dave Keber) writes:
>What is the easiest way to prompt for a yes/no (or any string/number, etc.)
>from a csh shell script?

The standard way is to use the pseudo-variable "$<" as follows--

	#!/bin/csh
	echo -n "Really [yn]? "
	set answer = "$<"
	echo "You answered '$answer'"

>I thought of writing a short C program that asks for input then writing the
>answer to standard output, and then calling that program in my shell script,
>but that seems a rather convoluted way of going about it...or is it?

Well, yes, it's convoluted.  But you don't have to write a new
tool to do it this way--

	#!/bin/csh
	echo -n "Really [yn]? "
	set answer = "`head -1`"
	echo "You answered '$answer'"

Darin McGrew			mcgrew at Eng.Sun.COM
Affiliation stated for identification purposes only.