How to convert lower case variable into upper case?

Bill Irwin bill at twg.bc.ca
Sat Jan 26 19:14:58 AEST 1991

I  asked  for a way to convert the name of a uucp lock file  into
its  upper  case counterpart /dev device name.  Since  you  don't
know  which modem ports might be in use, those solutions that had
a particular letter "wired" in have limited value.

I  received  several  mailed responses.  The  simplest  and  most
easily understandable (by me), provided by Stuart Hood, follows:

case $modem in
        i[1-9][a-z])
        real_modem=i`echo $modem | sed 's/i//' | tr '[a-z]' '[A-Z]'`
        ;;
esac

--
S I E M E N S  Stuart Hood 65-73 Crockhamwell Road, Woodley, Berkshire, UK
-------------  Phone: + 44-734-691994          Email: stuart at siesoft.co.uk
N I X D O R F  The trouble with everyone, is that they generalise too much

I  decided to tune it a little bit because when another Digiboard
is  added, the ports names are "ttyi2x".  I would like the script
to handle all ports regardless of board number.

This  is  clean  and elegant.  You (Net) have probably  saved  me
hours  of  reading about sed in the manual, and I may never  have
stumbled across tr.  Now that I know what these utilities can do,
the  next time I have a similar problem I can research it in  the
manual.

I  think the Net is wonderful for these types of things.   Thanks
to all who responded.
--
Bill Irwin    -       The Westrheim Group     -    Vancouver, BC, Canada