UNIX C SHELL'S VERSION OF NORTON'S CD

Walt Sullivan walt at bcarh133.uucp
Thu Jan 10 01:09:27 AEST 1991

While I appreciate the effort you've put into ncdcsh, I strongly object to your
attempt to change my .login file:

> #add alias ncd ... in .login file if there isn't.
> if ( ! `egrep -c '(alias) (ncd)' ${HOME}/.login `) \
>  echo 'alias ncd "${HOME}/.ncdcsh \!* && cd `cat ${HOME}/.ncddir ` " ' >> \
>     ${HOME}/.login

My .login file (which is mine) is MINE! If you want to suggest I add the "alias ncd ...",
do so. If I want to add it I will. But, KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF MY .login!

Besides, your change will NOT work in my .login - since I usually call x11start (to
fire up X-windows) from my .login, I don't get to the end of .login until I'm
logging off! Besides, aliases defined in .login will work only in the login shell.
In X-windows, all of the shells I use are subshells - my login shell is waiting
for me to kill my window manager so it can log me out. I have to define aliases
in my .cshrc.
--
Walt Sullivan
BITNET: walt at BNR.CA (work)