copying files

Joe Smith jms at romana.Tymnet.COM
Sat Jan 5 11:56:40 AEST 1991

In article <1990Dec27.134022.14394 at cid.aes.doe.CA> afsipmh at cid.aes.doe.CA (Patrick Hertel) writes:
>   1) -A is not "standard" at least not on our IRIX machines

It appears to be a UCB enhancement.

>   2) -A lists . and .. on our suns despite what man purports

Sounds like you have an unexpected alias for ls.

  (techserv/techserv) jms at tardis# ls
  ./                      .logout                 terminal.inventory
  ../                     bin/                    terminal.old-inv@
  .cshrc*                 cops/
  .login                  frames/
  (techserv/techserv) jms at tardis# /bin/ls
  .cshrc                  bin                     terminal.inventory
  .login                  cops                    terminal.old-inv
  .logout                 frames
  (techserv/techserv) jms at tardis# /bin/ls -A
  .cshrc                  bin                     terminal.inventory
  .login                  cops                    terminal.old-inv
  .logout                 frames
  (techserv/techserv) jms at tardis# /bin/ls -a
  .                       .logout                 terminal.inventory
  ..                      bin                     terminal.old-inv
  .cshrc                  cops
  .login                  frames
  (techserv/techserv) jms at tardis# /bin/ls -a -A
  .                       .logout                 terminal.inventory
  ..                      bin                     terminal.old-inv
  .cshrc                  cops
  .login                  frames
  (techserv/techserv) jms at tardis# alias ls
  ls -aF
  (techserv/techserv) jms at tardis#	# (Tested under SunOS-4.1)

The "-A" option is the default for root.
If "-a" and "-A" are both specified (possibly as a result of an alias),
the "-a" option wins.

--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms at tardis.tymnet.com or jms at gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms