Questions concerning BaSH

RANDY S WELCH rwelch at diana.cair.du.edu
Thu Jan 10 17:26:45 AEST 1991

In article <Fpkvu754 at cs.psu.edu> melling at cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

   From: melling at cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger)
   Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
   Date: 9 Jan 91 21:37:26 GMT
   Sender: news at cs.psu.edu (Usenet)

   I found BASH 1.05 to be very unstable.  I wouldn't use it as my login
   shell.  There are several major patches for it that you should be sure
   to get if you decide to use it.  I might try it again when 1.06 is
   released.  For now though, I recommend tcsh.

   -Mike

   BTW:  The BASH binary(like most GNU binaries) is quite large.

There are several of us in my office that use bash as a login shell.  True
you need to apply patches ( history/Sys V signal handling ), but it works
well for us.  If you need to cut down the size, get rid of the help
documentation (40K).  It has to execute scripts somewhat better than our
brain damaged csh...

-randy
Randy Welch   Mail to :  ...!ncar!scicom!bldr!randy or rwelch at du.edu
Boulder, CO   VOICE   :  303-442-6717
"Unfortunately, life contains an unavoidable element of unpredictability"
-David Lynch "The Angriest Dog in the World"