Awk question

Jay Plett jay at silence.princeton.nj.us
Mon Jan 21 08:33:50 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan20.062150.24582 at convex.com>, tchrist at convex.COM (Tom Christiansen) writes:
- From the keyboard of bob at wyse.UUCP (Bob McGowen x4312 dept208):
- :In article <1991Jan18.164243.11804 at cbnewsh.att.com> me at cbnewsh.att.com (william.j.bruncati) writes:
- :>This doesn't work. It won't give me a match although there is one.
- :>		if (myarray[i] ~ /$1/ )
- :>			print $0
- :
- :  I believe this is because you are using "old" awk, which did not
- :  allow substitution into patterns, as with your "/$1/".
-
- And if like so many all you have is the old awk, get gawk, which is free.

Either nawk or gawk are worth having.  But I don't believe that either
of them will solve the stated problem.

I've never been able to find a way to use a variable on the right-hand
side of a ~ expression with any of the incarnations of awk.  Have I
missed something?

	...jay