Getty

Karl Denninger karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM
Thu Oct 11 01:18:51 AEST 1990

In article <609 at metaware.metaware.com> ken at metaware.UUCP (ken) writes:
>In article <601 at seer.UUCP> fred at seer.uucp (Glen Collins) writes:
>>Hello again...
>>
>>	I may have forgotten to mention that the STOCK getty work fine, but
>>I would like to have root be able to login from any TTY or virtual console.
>>And since microport has no patch to allow that I'm trying to find a getty
>>to replace the stock.
>
>You probably wont be able to do that. Some of the limited login stuff that
>Microport did was implememted in the getty and login program. There was also
>some stuff done in the kernel for that, specifically in the mem module.
>This is the two user versus unlimited user package stuff that I'm talking
>about.

Incorrect.

You CANNOT replace the getty that Uport provides, but you CAN supplement it.

Leave the standard getty running on at least one terminal (note: this is
VERY important or the system will not come up!)

Add your other getty program as, say, /etc/autobaud, and run that on
everything else.  Works like a champ.

I did this a looong time ago with 1.3.6 - 2.x, and it all worked just
peachy.  You see, I dislike having people hit <break> to autobaud; I think
they should hit <return>.  We replaced login also, that was no big deal
either.  Both worked just like one would expect.

--
Karl Denninger (karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 808-7300], Voice: [+1 708 808-7200]