compiling compress (Was Re: how to compile pcomm in sysv)

Doug Ingraham dpi at loft386.uucp
Mon Oct 29 13:28:04 AEST 1990

In article <917 at iiasa.UUCP>, wnp at iiasa.AT (wolf paul) writes:
> In article <501 at tndsyd.oz> berny at tndsyd.oz (Berny Goodheart) writes:
> )The 286 is only capable of compressing to 12 BITS. Most
> )32 bit machines compress files to 16 bits. If the files you are trying
> )to de-compress where originally compressed on a 32 bit machine, ...
>
> Apart from the fact that I have used a 16-bit uncompress on a 286
> several years ago, the reply above does not seem to have anything to
> do with the question it purports to answer. What is going on?

There is an option in compress to allow the big array to be broken
into 64k chunks that will fit on a xenix box.  I think these patches
are ifdef XENIX although it has been a couple of years since I looked at
it.  Look at the sources for a couple of minutes and you will see what I
mean.  I have never used compress in this way, so I don't know if it
really works, but I saw nothing that would prevent it from working on
any 286 system that allowed large model data segments.

--
Doug Ingraham (SysAdmin)
Lofty Pursuits (Public Access for Rapid City SD USA)