Porting TCSH to RS/6000 w/ AIX 3

Steve DeJarnett steve at qe2.awdpa.ibm.com
Tue Oct 9 15:28:28 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct8.185748.15133 at oswego.Oswego.EDU> stjohn at penelope.Oswego.EDU (Dave St. John) writes:
>I am trying to get tcsh to run under AIX version 3. I am compiling with the
>BSD compatible libraries and defining things BSDish but when I run the shell
>input is all messed up. I type in the command ls and have to press return
>several times to get the command to appear and execute.

	Probably something like 4 times per input line, right??  Actually, I
think it's any 4 characters, but return is always the most common candidate.

>Also commands such as more don't behave properly. When such a command is used
>it is sent signal 22 (TTOU) and is stopped. This occurs with several other
>output commands but some work occasionaly such as cat.

	Not quite sure why this occurs, but, as I recall, we're seeing something
very similar here (I suspect it's the same thing, actually).

>I would appreciate any information about AIX specifics that need to be taken
>care of or if anyone has done this already some pointers in the right direction.

	There's a new copy on tesla.ee.cornell.edu that you might want to look
at.  There's a binary for the RISC System/6000 (RS/6000) there that you may or
may not want to pick up (depending on how paranoid you like to be about
picking up binaries from anonymous ftp sites).  There's also source with the
relevant AIXv3 defines in it.  The comment relevant to the above-mentioned
problem is:

	/*
	 * If someone could explain this to me...
	 * On the RS6000, CBREAK behaves like ~ICANON with VMIN=4 and VTIME=0!
	 * So for this module, we use the SYSV tty driver stuff
	 */

The version there is 5.19, which, apparently, is not a Paul Placeway version.
It's an incremental release (non-official) done by some people at Cornell.  It
should solve most of your problems, though.

>stjohn at oswego.oswego.edu

	Hope that helped.

	Steve

Steve DeJarnett			Internet: steve at ibminet.awdpa.ibm.com
IBM AWD Palo Alto		UUCP:	  uunet!ibminet.awdpa.ibm.com!steve
(415) 855-3510			IBM VNET: dejarnet at ausvmq
These opinions are my own.  I doubt IBM wants them.......