Kernel Definition

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.ferranti.com
Sat May 25 00:54:52 AEST 1991

In article <29696 at hydra.gatech.EDU> ken at dali.cc.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) writes:
> Your friend has absolutely no idea what he's talking about.  In
> any traditional Unix system (V6, V7, Sys[35], BSD), the kernel
> is never swapped.

Weren't there some varieties of 2BSD that had an overlayed kernel on the
PDP-11? But that was pretty late in the life of 2BSD, when they were putting
all sorts of 4BSD stuff in it. I think it was 2.11 that started doing this.

(when was the last time you ran into an overlayed program?)
--
Peter da Silva; Ferranti International Controls Corporation; +1 713 274 5180;
Sugar Land, TX  77487-5012;         `-_-' "Have you hugged your wolf, today?"