Backing up two computers on one tape with UUCP

Bill Vermillion bill at bilverbilver.uucp
Fri Oct 5 14:09:29 AEST 1990

In article <265 at twg.wimsey.bc.ca> bill at twg.wimsey.bc.ca (Bill Irwin) writes:
>I've  got  this  scenario where one computer has too much  disk  used  to
>backup  on  its 60Mb tape.  The sysadm would like to backup a portion  of
>the  file system over a direct uucp link onto a system with a 150Mb tape.
>Neither  system has enough free disk space to hold a tar archive on  disk
>while it is being transferred between systems.

Here's an alternate approach.  One client I had went into their 3rd tape on
backups, and really complained how long it took to back it up.  That was
the final thing I needed to convince them to go to CTAR.  Now they do
unattended late night backups with verify, and with the compression turned
on the 2 and but of the 3rd 60 meg tapes all fit on one tape.

Don't have anything to do with the product other than having several happy
clients with it.

                      : bill at bilver.UUCP