more FAS&RTS

Uwe Doering gemini at geminix.in-berlin.de
Mon Oct 8 02:27:16 AEST 1990

dvv at hq.demos.su (Dmitry V. Volodin) writes:

>>This RTS/CTS misunderstanding is VERY common and, I suspect, appeared
>>when smart guys used to wire one computer's RTS to other's CTS to
>>make flow control on direct links. What is really painful - other
>>smart guys write smart drivers INCOMPATIBLE with canonical ones.
>>SCO's interpretation is quite V.24-compliant, and FAS's - just
>>clever incompatible hack.

I'm aware of this problem. But if you look at high speed modems you'll
find that the manufacturers have used this incompatible method for years.
Therefor, it's only logical to write a driver like FAS which fully supports
these modems (and other DCE).

BTW, just a few months ago this full duplex method was adopted by the
CCITT and its US counterpart. Now each pin (RTS and CTS) has two names.
I don't remember the new ones at the moment but they use the old names
(RTS and CTS) for the half duplex handshake and the new names for
the full duplex method.

The problem is if I use these new names in the FAS documentation
nobody will know what I am talking about because the new names are
almost unknown to the UNIX community, at least at this time. Therefor,
I'll stick with RTS/CTS for the time being. To make clear what method
is meant one could call it "full duplex RTS/CTS" or otherwise
"half duplex RTS/CTS". I think this complies with the terminology modem
(and other DCE) manufacturers use.

     Uwe
Uwe Doering  |  Domain   : gemini at geminix.in-berlin.de
Germany      |  Bangpath : ...!unido!fub!geminix!gemini