File Xfer between mainframe and unix via token ring

Jack F. Vogel jackv at turnkey.tcc.com
Sun Oct 7 06:53:22 AEST 1990

In article <124 at thebox.UUCP> psdata at thebox.uucp (Phil Scott) writes:

>We have a client running AT&T UNIX on an Everex 386 acting as a file
>server for several PC's.  The network os is AT&T stargroup.  Everything
>is wired for token ring.  The installation also has an 3090/400E running
>MVS-XA.  They want to communicate between the unix system and the
>mainframe.

Sorry about the delay in reponding to this, but I have been out of town.
The most straightfoward solution to this problem is to obtain an IBM
8232 which is the IBM 370 channel-to-network interface, it can be
configured with either a token-ring adaptor or ethernet adaptor (or
both for that matter). Then there is a TCP/IP software package available
for either VM or MVS (sorry, but I have no idea of a order number). Once
you have done this, you will have all of the normal TCP/IP services
available. A nice aspect to it, is not only will you have ftp, but you
can also telnet into the MVS system remotely from say, your X11-based
work station. Once you have this around its hard to live without it!!
Contact your IBM representative for more info.

Disclaimer: My opinions need not necessarily reflect my employer's.

Jack F. Vogel			jackv at locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -
Locus Computing Corp.		jackv at turnkey.TCC.COM