Running X windows on a 16MHz 386sx

Scott Wiesner scottw at ico.isc.com
Wed Oct 17 08:46:17 AEST 1990

> What intrigues me
> the most is that the display performance for OS/2 is orders of magnitude
> better; the X server writers need to get a lot smarter about handling the
> VGA, especially bit blitting.

Hey!  You're comparing apples and oranges here.  I assume OS/2 is like
Windows in this area, which means they cheat.  All blits that I've seen
in Windows are aligned, meaning both the source and destination for the
blit are on the same bit position within the display memory.  That's
a huge win on a VGA.  I'd be suprised if truly general blitting were
any faster.  If you've got other examples of things that are faster
under Windows or OS/2, I'd be very interested in hearing about it.

Not that I don't need to get a lot smarter, but I'm willing to
argue this example a bit.  :-)

Scott Wiesner
Interactive Systems
"X server writer ... VGA"