WD1007V + big Maxtor + DOS + UNIX

Bruce Adler bruce at segue.segue.com
Wed Oct 3 07:31:19 AEST 1990

Regarding your recipe for installing a big disk (i.e. >1024 cyls):

You didn't say which flavor of unix you were installing.  Not turning on
the disk adapter's translation feature may have been a mistake depending
on which flavor and release of unix you installed.  You should be aware
that some releases of unix/386 won't boot a kernel if any part of it is
stored at or above cylinder 1024 (zero based).  You may not notice this
bug for a very long time because all flavors of unix/386 now seem to
have faster-file-gizmos which seem to always allocate blocks starting at
the low end of the disk.

Some unix vendors have fixed their bootstraps but I wouldn't be able to
tell you for certain in which releases these bug-fixes appeared.  I
think the latest and greatest versions of ISC and SCO may have this
fixed.  I don't know about AT&T, Intel, and Esix.  The release notes for
systems which have this bug usually mention the problem.
--
bruce at segue.com, ism.isc.com!segue!bruce, aero.org!segue!bruce