G++ V386 Success

Bill Hatch bill at alembic.acs.com
Tue Oct 2 11:01:28 AEST 1990

Bill Hatch  (301)470-3839(w)  (301)441-1675(h)
Coleman Research, 14504 Greenview Drive, Laurel MD 20708
All opinions expressed are my own - dont blame my employer or alembic systems
I have completed the gcc-1.37.1/g++-1.37.0/g++lib-1.37.0/gas-1.36
and gdb-3.5 compilation and installation with coff patches on the following:

	ALR 386/220	Western Digital Controller
	Seagate 80 Mb 	2 Mb RAM.
	1.2 Mb Floppy
	Microport V386
	DOS Merge 1.1.1.U #30591/23087/49083
	SW Development System 3.0e #3SDS300001568
	V386 Runtime 3.0e #3RTL300001452

gnu bison was also required.  I am using the uport ld and ar utilities.
This ld supports link editor directives and incremental linking.

The gnu code was downloaded from the uunet archieves.  The coff patches
by Michael Bloom were obtained from osu-cis.  The uucp Systems line
for osu-cis is:

# Micom port selector, at 1200, 2400, or 9600 bps.
# Replace ##'s below with 12, 24, or 96 (both speed and phone number).
#
osu-cis Any ACU ##00 1-614-292-31## "" \r\c Name? osu-cis nected \c GO
	\d\r\d\r\d\r in:--in:--in: Uanon

uucp the file osu-cis!~/GNU.how-to-get  to your system in order to
get the path names to Michael's latest coff patch release.

The total installation of all of the above, with the coff patches,
required about 2 weeks of evenings and weekends. This was due to
my minimal machine configuration rather than any problems with
the distribution software - for example the g++-lib compilation took
about 24 hours, the unstripped cc1-plus executable is 2+ megabytes,
stripped it is over 600k.  At this point it is very clear that I need
to add more RAM and a faster/larger hard disk to do any serious work
with g++.

The patching and installation procedures are very smooth - FSF and
Michael Bloom have done excellent work.  I found 2 VERY minor problems
which should be corrected in the next coff patch release.   Also, the
reference to the "-C" flag for ASSEM_SPEC should be commented out in
config/tm-i386gcoff.h for both gcc and g++.    If you do not do this,
the loader complains about incorrect magic numbers.

At present i am still checking out g++ with the coff patches.  I have
only compiled several small "hello world" programs.  Since i am new
to C++, i am planning to work through the examples in "C++ Primer"
by Stanley Lippman, Addison-Wesley, 1989.

I would like to thank Michael Bloom, Richard Stallman and James R. Van Artsdalen
for the helpful hints that have gotten me this far.

Bill Hatch
Coleman Research Corporation
14504 Greenview Drive Suite 500
Laurel, Maryland 20708