Esix is almost perfect but one little problem :)

Larry Foard larry at belch.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Oct 8 03:36:33 AEST 1990

So far I have had very good luck with esix but am having one very strange
problem.

I have my machine setup with TCP/IP but no ethernet card (yet). I am using it
for communications between a database server and a number of clients, this in
it self has worked with (surprising) few problems except: If I boot the
machine, then come back several hours later and start the server it gets to
the point where it should be accepting connections and just sits there. When
I attempt to run a client process or even use telnet to connect they just
sit there trying to make a connection. I have also noticed that when this
happens that the talkd and rwhod process have gone into infinite loops and are
running up CPU time (talk also freezes if you try to run it). The only thing
that seems to repair the problem is to reboot the machine.

Is it possible that TCP/IP requires an ethernet card to work even if it
is not used?