No Passwd for nuucp

Jeff Liebermann jeffl at comix.UUCP
Mon Oct 29 10:01:25 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct27.081021.12021 at pegasus.com>, richard at pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:
> >I think you need to disable the requirement for all logins.  Not that you
> >won't have password protection but any user will now be able to have a
> >null password if they want.  If this isn't a problem on your system then
> >look at /etc/default/login.  Add (or change) a line that says "PASSREQ=NO"
> >and you should have what you want.
>
> Not true.  If a user is given a password, passwd(1) will not allow him
> to replace it with a null password.

Agreed.  Details as follows.
In SCO 3.2.2 with
	C2 security (allegedly) turned off (relaxed)
	/etc/default/login  includes  PASSREQ=NO
the  passwd -d   command correctly deletes the requirement for
having a password.  However, as soon as the user (or nuucp)
logs in immediatly thereafter, login complains that they don't
have a password and demands one.  So much for that idea.  At
best, I was able to get the password set to a <cr>.

For entertainment, I then started hacking at
	/tcb/files/auth/n/nuucp  and  /etc/passwd
files directly.  Same result.  I can delete a password for
a single attempt, but a password is demanded immediately
thereafter.

--
# Jeff Liebermann   Box 272   1540 Jackson Ave     Ben Lomond    CA  95005
# (408)336-2558 voice  (408)429-0483 digital pager  WB6SSY  CIS:73557,2074