Rebuilding the rom.img under DOSMERGE (Microport V/386 3.0e)

Sassan Behzadi sassan at locus.com
Fri Oct 12 13:26:50 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct11.064029.2206 at rancho.uucp> rock at rancho.uucp (Rock Kent) writes:
>I'm pleased as punch with my new fast motherboard.  In the changeover,
>though, I've lost the ability to access the floppy disk drives under
>DOSMERGE.  I think that the new BIOS on the motherboard may be at
>fault.  I've tried using "dosadmin" to rebuild the mda.img cga.img and
>ega.img files, but it doesn't fix my problem.
>
>Do I need to recreate the rom.img file?  How do I go about doing that?

Well, you CAN'T "re-build" your rom.img, but you probably have to
patch it (using DEBUG) in order to make some of the wait loops longer.
The Locus Support group *might* be able to help you do this. (I'm not
sure if they support very old releases. - If you're running Microport
then you're probably using Merge 1.0 or 1.1.)

For the short term you should be able to use the "server-attach" facility
to access your floppies. Just start DOS with the following +a  option:

dos +aa:=/dev/fd0         (or maybe  +aA:  I'm not sure which
                           one was required for Merge 1.0)

The above command attaches the UNIX floppy as a DOS drive A.
(Do dos +ab:=/dev.....  to attatch as B ) Be sure to use the correct
UNIX device for the floppy density you have.  (i.e. if /dev/fd0 is
for high density floppies then the DOS session will only be able to
read and write high density floppies.)

With this type of floppy attachment you should be able to read and
write floppies but you cannot format and the drive will not understand
any media change.