How to access dos partition from vpix?

Steve McClure stevem at sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM
Sun Oct 21 00:34:19 AEST 1990

In article <15974 at bfmny0.BFM.COM> tneff at bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:
+In article <1990Oct18.214826.5940 at unixland.uucp> bill at unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
+>In article <1990Oct17.160116.27818 at cimcor.mn.org> dick at cimcor.mn.org (Dick Schlotfeldt) writes:
+>>I haven't figured out yet how to access a dos (3.3) partition
+>>from vpix. Can you enlighten me?
+>
+>You don't say what Unix you're running -- If it's Esix, it can't be done.
+
+Is this really true?
+
+Under AT&T and suchlike products, you run a Unix executable called
+'dosslice' which goes out and creates one or more new /dev/rdsk devices
+corresponding to the DOS partition(s).  You then feed these device names
+to VP/ix in 'vpix.cnf':
+
+	D		/dev/rdsk/0s5
+
+Now what I have noticed is that not everyone seems to have the
+'dosslice' program or its equivalent.  Some shrinkwrap vendors seem not
+to include it with their VP/ix products.  Therefore the user can't
+create these devices.  But is the kernel support actually there anyway?
+If you could run, say, the AT&T dosslice, would the resulting devices be
+usable under Esix?  I can't try the experiment, I'm just asking.

Does dosslice do anything more than mknod for the dos slice?  A simple
prtvtoc tells you which one it is.  V.4 has this node for you already.