Running X windows on a 16MHz 386sx

Tim Pozar pozar at kumr.UUCP
Mon Oct 8 12:15:52 AEST 1990

In article <14220 at netcom.UUCP> boba at netcom.UUCP (Bob Amstadt) writes:
>Is anyone running Sys V Unix and X windows on a 386sx based machine?
>I'm interested in knowing what the performance is like.

   I ran ESIX's OS (rev.C) on a straight 16MHz '386 w/ 4
megs-o-memory. I found the paging was severe with only 4megs.  You
really need 8megs to run it with out the problems.  I have been told
that 16bit memory is pretty tought to live with also.  I have been
strongly encouraged to have a 32bit memory bus.  Doesn't a SX only
have a 16bit memory bus?

   I have since upgraded to a 33MHz '396 w/ 8megs-o-memory.  Much
faster, but some screen updates are slightly slower that I would like.
Paging is not a problem now. I have found xfroot with out a co-
processor will slow the system down noticably.

                             Tim

--
Tim Pozar    Try also...
uunet!hoptoad!kumr!pozar      Fido: 1:125/555      PaBell: (415) 788-3904