System V Release 4.0 for 80x86 systems

Raymond Nijssen raymond at gem.stack.urc.tue.nl
Sat Oct 27 12:17:17 AEST 1990

cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>[...] here is a compilation
>of the information regarding availability of System V R4.0 for *86 based
>systems: [...]
>Currently all vendors have included the following packages in their release:
>
>		Operating System (2-user)
>		Software Development System
>		NFS, RFS
>		TCP/IP
>		X11R3
>		Openlook

So what happened to VP/ix? As far as I know, it's not yet available. I'm
quite surprised nobody mentioned it, though obviously, with the number of
questions about it in this group in mind, many people use it.

I was told that the old (Simultask 2.0) version would not run under sVr4,
and the fact that Interactive apparantly is way behind concerning r4, I
wonder when (or if?) a new version will be available.

By the way, Conor's remark that SCO does not intend to work on r4 does
not make me feel very comfortable when I think about support for hardware not
beloning to THE de facto standards, like the variety of VGA cards.

-Raymond