How To Force System Dump (NMI switch)

Gordon W. Ross gwr at linus.mitre.org
Fri Oct 26 05:05:32 AEST 1990

In article <2652 at dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil> of comp.unix.sysv386,
ntm1569 at dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil (Jeff Roth) asks:

> [...] "is there any way to force a system coredump if a machine is hung?"

Yes.  If you have an NMI (Non-Maskable Interrupt) switch on your
machine, pressing it will cause a panic and system dump.

If you don't have such a switch it is trivial to add one.  You need a
switch between the NMI line and ground.  The NMI line is available on
every I/O channel slot, pin 2 (that's from memory -- look it up!)
As always, don't blame me if you fry your mother board...
Gordon W. Ross  (M/S E095)	internet: gwr at linus.mitre.org
The MITRE Corporation    	uucp: {decvax|philabs}!linus!gwr
Burlington Road          	office phone: 617-271-3205
Bedford, MA 01730 (U.S.A.)