286 -> 386sx Upgrades

Systems Staff root at cca.ucsf.edu
Tue Oct 23 12:35:35 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct17.175700.24704 at ico.isc.com>, rcd at ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:

> A while back I wrote a note that agrees with Kent about the cost.  However,
> it may not be as easy as you think to swap motherboards!  Contrary to
> popular wisdom, the innards of clones are not all plug-compatible.  Most
> are, but beware.  A tale of woe...
>
> I tried several times to upgrade an old NEC APC-IV.  That's their basic AT
> clone from some years ago.

I don't think NEC ever claimed this was an IBM clone, did they?

The impression I got was that they thought they were big enough
to set a standard themselves. Maybe they did in their domestic
market.

They did do some nice video, though.

 Thos Sumner       Internet: thos at cca.ucsf.edu
 (The I.G.)        UUCP: ...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!thos
                   BITNET:  thos at ucsfcca

 U.S. Mail:  Thos Sumner, Computer Center, Rm U-76, UCSF
             San Francisco, CA 94143-0704 USA

I hear nothing in life is certain but death and taxes -- and they're
working on death.

#include <disclaimer.std>