Disk benchmark (long)

Shawn Hayes shawn at jdyx.UUCP
Sat Oct 13 13:23:55 AEST 1990

   Dick Dunn was entirely correct in his posting.  I am looking to test both
the SYNC and NOSYNC modes.  The NOSYNC times could also be affected by buffer
size if the buffer is under 2 megabytes.  What I would like to find is either
a version of UNIX that has better disk performance capabilities( perhaps by
putting the inode and the file data at the same point on the disk) or another
way of accessing/updating the data that avoids the inode update penalty.

   I suspect that the two updates required in Unix explain why OS/2 can
give a performance of up 3 times what AIX 1.2 shows.  If anyone knows of a
method of improving file performance or of a Unix that gives increased file
performance over AIX please speak up.  I'd really rather work on a Unix
system than OS/2 but disk performance is critical for our application.

Thanks.

Shawn