tar under Interactive unix

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Tue Oct 9 22:01:22 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct9.002629.16247 at wolves.uucp> ggw%wolves at cs.duke.edu (Gregory G. Woodbury) writes:
>Whatever the ISC supplied "tar" does is whatever it does.  By
>definition, tar is an imported command to System V from the BSD
>universe.

If I remember correctly tar is the original tape archiver that came
with version 6, PWB, and version 7 UNIX.  Then it diverged a bit in
BSD, Xenix and AT&T UNIXs (similar to the way that UNIX itself diverged).

The one included with System V R3.2 and later is the result of the Xenix
tar being merged back into the AT&T tar.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170